Classic Stories

Who's Watching You? Home Classic Stories Sighting Stories Gram's Story Things to know Favorite Links Fun Photo Comments & Messages

Classic Stories

 JACKO - 1884

 In July of 1884, an engineer driving a train along the Fraser River, between the towns of Lytton and Yale, British Columbia, saw what appeared to be a body lying on the tracks in front of the train. Managing to stop the train in time, the squeal of the brakes frightened the creature and it fled to the nearby rocks.

Crewmen then chased the creature up a ridge of rugged rocks, finally capturing it when one of the men dropped a heavy rock on its head, rendering it unconscious. Several of the men carried the creature back to the train.

Named "Jacko" by its captures, the young creature was only 4 feet 7 inches tall, and weighed 127 lbs. He had black glossy hair, about 1 inch long, covering his entire body, except for a small area around his eyes, the palms of his hands and soles of his feet. He had very long arms (gorilla like), and possessed extraordinary strength.

He would take hold of a stick and break it by wrenching it or twisting it, which no man could break in the same way. The only sounds he made were a kind of bark and a growl.

He was fed berries and milk (his favorite), and kept in a train car until they reached the town of Yale, where he was unfortunately put on exhibit at the local jail. Shortly after, he was sold to Barnum & Bailey Circus. Jacko was somehow able to manage an escape before reaching his new home in London, and was never seen again.

Not much evidence of this incident remain. The eyewitnesses now long gone. Real or fable, the mystery of Jacko has held up over the years as one of the great classic stories. 

In 1924, a Canadian lumberjack by the name of Albert Ostman was prospecting near Tobet Inlet when he says he was kidnapped by a Bigfoot and held captive by the creatures family. In the middle of the night he was picked up, sleeping bag and all, and carried off a good three miles to the home and camp site of a family of Sasquatch, which included the father who had brought him there, the Mother and two children, a boy and a girl. The creatures made no effort to hurt him, but it was clear they did not want him to escape.

Ostman’s description went like this: "The old Man was eight feet tall with a big barrel chest and big hump on his back—powerful shoulders, the biceps on his upper arms were enormous and tapered down to his elbows. His forearms were longer than common people have, but well proportioned. His hands were wide, the palm was long and broad and hollow like a scoop. His fingers were short in proportion to the rest of the hand.

The mother was seven feet tall, about 600 lbs. with very wide hips and a goose-like walk. She was not built for beauty or speed." He described the son as almost full-grown, seven feet tall and about 300 lbs. The daughter was young and always kept her distance from Ostman. All were covered in hair except for the palms of their hands, soles of their feet, and an area at the upper part of the nose and around the eyelids.

Living with them for nearly a week, he learned much about them. They had a language all their own and would chatter among themselves. They seemed to be vegetarians, as he never saw them eat meat nor do any cooking. They gathered some kind of nut that grows in the ground and sweet roots that have a very sweet and satisfying taste. He thought them to move from place to place, as food is available in different localities. They slept under homemade blankets made of cedar bark strips woven together.

He was never harmed in any way, but after six days, Ostman was planning an escape. When the old man grabbed his snuff can and swallowed the whole contents, thereby becoming very sick, and then grabbed and downed Ostmans pot of hot coffee, grounds and all, Ostman was able to slip away. Fearing people would think him crazy, it was 34 years later that he finally told his story which was sworn before a Justice of the Peace in Ft. Langley, British Columbia, on Aug. 20th, 1957.


The first ‘recorded’ encounter in Washington State took place the middle of July in 1924. Five prospectors were working a gold mine on the east slopes of Mt. St. Helens, in the Lewis River area.

Finding huge footprints around their cabin one morning had the miners unnerved. The footprints looked human with five toes, yet they were a foot and a half long by eight inches wide. Some of the prints sunk an inch or more into the soft dirt, indicating a creature of great weight.

They were also unnerved by the strange whistling and thumping sounds coming from the nearby ridges, heard both day and night.

Then it happened that during the day time, while gathering water from a spring, two of the men encountered a huge, hairy creature about 7 ft. tall with blackish-brown hair. It was about a hundred yards away, standing by a pine tree. One of the men raised his rifle and shot at the creature as it quickly dodged behind the tree.

Moments later, it poked its head out from the side of the tree, then took off running upright and fast down a little canyon while the other man shot at it three times until it disappeared from view. (NOTE: There are varying stories as to whether the men actually hit the creature or not).

Returning to the cabin, they informed the rest of their party. They agreed to leave first thing in the morning, but decided to stay the night rather than venture out into the darkness as night had fallen. They had their supper and soon fell asleep.

Around midnight they were awakened by a tremendous thud on the side of the cabin. There were no windows in the cabin, however, peeking through a hole in the wall they saw a grouping of three of the creatures, although there may have been more. The miners had built the pine cabin themselves and thankfully it was very sturdy as the creatures began to hurl rocks at the cabin.

Continually pelting the walls as well as the roof, the creatures ripped pieces of wood from the outside walls of the cabin and tried to bash in the door. The miners had to brace the hewed-logged door with a long pole from one of the bunk beds, and watched as the whole door vibrated from the impacts. The miners knocked chinks out between the logs and fired their rifles into the darkness, the cabin became filled with smoke and it became hard to breath.

The creatures continued to terrorize the miners the entire night until daybreak. As soon as the sun rose, the creatures disappeared. The miners abandoned both the cabin and mine, never to return.

Footnote: After the incident this area of Mt. St. Helens appropriately became known as Ape Canyon. Newspaper reporters and curiosity seekers who later visited the area continued to tell of finding giant footprints for years. Unfortunately, if the creatures did live in the area, the 1980 eruption of Mt. St. Helens buried any evidence in a deep layer of ash.


In the fall of 1928, a Nootka Indian by the name of Muchalat Harry claims to have been kidnapped by a Sasquatch and held captive. Muchalat Harry was a fur trapper, a large, tough, fearless man from the Nootka Tribe on Vancouver Island, off the west coast of British Columbia. In the early fall, he took off in his canoe and headed off to his favorite camping area on the Conuma River.

One night while wrapped in his blankets and wearing only his underwear, he was suddenly scooped up by a giant Bigfoot and carried about two or three miles off into the hills. When daylight came, he found he was in some sort of a camp surrounded by some twenty Bigfoot of all ages and sizes. They were very curious and stood around him to stare.

Some would come forward to touch him and pull on his woolen underwear. The Bigfoot did not harm him in any way, but Muchalat Harry was frightened. When he noticed a large number of bones lying around the campsite, his fear turned to terror as he became convinced that the Bigfoot were going to eat him. Later that afternoon while the creatures were out food-gathering, he took advantage of the opportunity and fled as fast as he could run.

He never stopped at his camp to retrieve his prized rifle, nor did he even grab clothes, but headed straight for his canoe, which was hidden some twelve miles down river from his camp. He then paddled nonstop the forty five miles back to Nootka. The village was awakened by his wild cries from the waters of the inlet. They found him in his canoe, exhausted, wet, frozen, barefoot and wearing only his torn underwear.

It took nearly three weeks to nurse him back to health, during those three weeks his hair turned a solid white. Muchalat Harry never returned to the Conuma, not even to retrieve his gear. He never went into the woods again, in fact he never left the settlement at Nootka for the rest of his life.


I, W. Roe of the City of Edmonton, in the province of Alberta make oath and say,

(1) That the exhibit A attached to this, my affidavit, is absolutely true and correct in all details.

Sworn before me in the City of Edmonton, Province of Alberta, this 26th day of August, A.D. 1957.

(Signed) William Roe

(Signed) by W.H. Clark

Assistant Claims Agent

Number D.D. 2822


Ever since I was a small boy back in the forest of Michigan, I have studied the lives and habits of wild animals. Later, when I supported my family in Northern Alberta by hunting and trapping, I spent many hours just observing the wild things. They fascinated me. But the most incredible experience I ever had with a wild creature occurred near a little town called Tete Jaune Cache, British Columbia, about eighty miles west of Jasper, Alberta.

I had been working on the highway near Tete Jaune Cache for about two years. In October, 1955, I decided to climb five miles up Mica Mountain to an old deserted mine, just for something to do. I came in sight of the mine about three o'clock in the afternoon after an easy climb. I had just come out of a patch of low brush into a clearing, when I saw what I thought was a grizzly bear, in the bush on the other side. I had shot a grizzly near that spot the year before. This one was only about 75 yards away, but I didn't want to shoot it, for I had no way of getting it out. So I sat down on a small rock and watched, my rifle in my hands.

I could see part of the animal's head and the top of one shoulder. A moment later, it raised up and stepped out into the opening. Then I saw it was not a bear.

This, to the best of my recollection, is what the creature looked like and how it acted as it came across the clearing directly toward me. My first impression was of a huge man, about six feet tall, almost three feet wide, and probably weighing somewhere near three hundred pounds. It was covered from head to foot with dark brown silver-tipped hair. But as it came closer, I saw by its breasts that it was female.

And yet, its torso was not curved like a female's. Its broad frame was straight from shoulder to hip. Its arms were much thicker than a man's arms, and longer, reaching almost to its knees. Its feet were broader proportionately than a man's, about five inches wide at the front and tapering to much thinner heels. When it walked, it placed the heel of its foot down first, and I could see the grey-brown skin or hide on the soles of its feet.

It came to the edge of the bush I was hiding in, within twenty feet of me, and squatted down on its haunches. Reaching out its hands, it pulled the branches of bushes toward it and stripped the leaves with its teeth. Its lips curled flexibly around the leaves as it ate. I was close enough to see that its teeth were white and even.

The shape of this creature's head somewhat resembled a Negro's. The head was higher at the back than at the front. The nose was broad and flat. The lips and chin protruded farther than its nose. But the hair that covered it, leaving bare only the parts of its face around the mouth, nose and ears, made it resemble an animal as much as a human. None of this hair, even on the back of its head, was longer than an inch, and that on its face was much shorter. Its ears were shaped like a human's ears. But its eyes were small and black like a bear's. And its neck also was unhuman. Thicker and shorter than any man's I had ever seen.

As I watched this creature, I wondered if some movie company was making a film at this place and that what I saw was an actor, made up to look partly human and partly animal. But as I observed it more, I decided it would be impossible to fake such a specimen. Anyway, I learned later there was no such company near that area. Nor, in fact, did anyone live up Mica Mountain, according to the people who lived in Tete Jaune Cache.

Finally the wild thing must have got my scent, for it looked directly at me through an opening in the brush. A look of amazement crossed its face. It looked so comical at the moment I had to grin. Still in a crouched position, it backed up three or four short steps, then straightened up to its full height and started to walk rapidly back the way it had come. For a moment, it watched me over its shoulder as it went, not exactly afraid, but as though it wanted no contact with anything strange.

The thought came to me that if I shot it, I would possibly have a specimen of great interest to scientists the world over. I had heard stories of the Sasquatch, the giant hairy Indians that live in the legends of British Columbia Indians, and also many claim, are still in fact alive today. Maybe this was a Sasquatch, I told myself.

I leveled my rifle. The creature was still walking rapidly away, again turning its head to look in my direction. I lowered the rifle. Although I have called the creature "it", I felt now that it was a human being and I knew I would never forgive myself if I killed it.

Just as it came to the other patch of brush, it threw its head back and made a peculiar noise that seemed to be half laugh and half language, and which I can only describe as a kind of a whinny. Then it walked from the small brush into a stand of lodgepole pine.

I stepped out into the opening and looked across a small ridge just beyond the pine to see if I could see it again. It came out on the ridge a couple of hundred yards away from me, tipped its head back again, and again emitted the only sound I had heard it make, but what this half- laugh, half-language was meant to convey, I do not know. It disappeared then, and I never saw it again.

I wanted to find out if it lived on vegetation entirely or ate meat as well, so I went down and looked for signs. I found it in five different places, and although I examined it thoroughly, could find no hair or shells of bugs or insects. So I believe it was strictly a vegetarian.

I found one place where it had slept for a couple of nights under a tree. Now, the nights were cool up the mountain, at this time of year especially, and yet it had not used a fire. I found no sign that it possessed even the simplest of tools. Nor a single companion while in this place.

Whether this was a Sasquatch I do not know. It will always remain a mystery to me, unless another one is found.

I hereby declare the above statement to be in every part true, to the best of my powers of observation and recollection.

(Signed) William Roe


A very controversial tale takes place in 1958, in Humboldt County, 20 miles north of the town of Willow Creek, in northwestern California. Road construction workers were building the new Bluff Creek Road, clearing land through a secluded forest.

Each morning the men would wake to find gigantic footprints in the freshly dug dirt near their bulldozers. The prints had the shape of human feet, but measured a baffling 16 inches long and 7 inches wide. The impressions were 2 inches deep in the hard soil, and the stride from print to print was anywhere from 4 to 10 feet apart.

After about a week of finding the prints, other strange things began to happen ... Concrete culverts measuring forty-eight inches across and weighing hundreds of pounds were torn out of fresh beds and thrown into nearby streams. The main supply truck carrying dozens of the culverts was flipped completely over, scattering culverts all over the place and ruining most of the pipes.

Two whole crews of workmen had a hard time trying to turn the truck back over onto its wheels. Workers at another site nearby were puzzled by the disappearance of a 55-gallon drum of diesel fuel weighing more than 300 pounds. The drum was later located in a ravine where it had been tossed, not rolled in.

Workers found themselves paced and followed about through the dense underbrush by unseen foul-smelling creatures. At a line shack, one worker finally came face to face with one of the creatures when it walked right in the door. The terrified man reached behind him, felt across the counter for a chocolate bar, and offered the candy to the beast. The creature took the candy, turned and walked away. The man ran in the opposite direction.

One of the bulldozer operators, Jerry Crew, made plaster casts of the enormous foot prints. He took one of them and the story to the local media. A local newspaper ran the story throughout the county, including a photo of Crew holding the "Bigfoot" cast, which soon became a household name. 

Law in Skamania County, Washington State:

Skamania County Ordinance No. 1

Tuesday, April 01, 1969

Ordinance No. 69-01

Be it hereby ordained by the Board of County Commissioners of Skamania County:

Whereas, there is evidence to indicate the possible existence in Skamania County of a nocturnal primate mammal variously described as an ape-like creature or a sub-species of Homo Sapiens; and

Whereas, both legend and purported recent sightings and spoor support this possibility, and

Whereas, this creature is generally and commonly known as a "Sasquatch", "Yeti", "Bigfoot", or "Giant Hairy ape", and has resulted in an influx of scientific investigators as well as casual hunters, many armed with lethal weapons, and

Whereas, the absence of specific laws covering the taking of specimens encourages laxity in the use of firearms and other deadly devices and poses a clear and present threat to the safety and well-being of persons living or traveling within the boundaries of Skamania County as well as to the creatures themselves,

Therefore be it resolved that any premeditated, willful and wanton slaying of such creature shall be deemed a felony punishable by a fine not to exceed Ten Thousand Dollars ($10,000) and/or imprisonment in the county jail for a period not to exceed Five (5) years.

Be it further resolved that the situation existing constitutes an emergency and as such this ordinance is effective immediately.

Board of Commissioners of Skamania County

Law in Whatcom County, Washington State.




WHEREAS, legend, purported recent findings and spoor suggest that Bigfoot may exist; and
WHEREAS, if such a creature exists, it is inadequately protected and in danger of death or injury;
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED by the Whatcom County Council that, Whatcom County is hereby declared a Sasquatch protection refuge area, and that all citizens are asked to recognize said status.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, this resolution shall be effective immediately.
APPROVED this 9th day of June, 1991.

My Contact Information